Wednesday, March 1, 2023

The Religion the Audience & Me Works Out Betwixt Us

I forgot to get a pic of the cosmic potato -- or potato cosmos -- mentioned in yesterday's post. However, that doesn't mean I can't describe it. I suppose it would be easier to do so in a podcast, but I'm partial to the view expressed by a writer that writers shouldn't do that. Rather, they are writers, and writing is hard enough without cheapening it with... cheap talk (https://www.gawker.com/culture/writers-shouldnt-talk?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email).

conversation does not allow for revision or retraction. Why should writers be exempt from an otherwise universal indignity? They, too, are people, and people speak and misspeak. Still, I have always thought that there is something peculiarly invidious, even offensive, about the expectation that writers talk, at least in their capacity as writers.

I am particularly conscious of this, since writing for me is still an aspiration and not an accomplishment. I have only to peek at my early posts to appreciate this. Much of it is winceworthy by today's laughty standards. 

My inner standard would combine the piercing meta-intelligence of Schuon with the aphoristic irony of Davila and the perfectly crafted humor of Wodehouse. Speaking of which...

Lately I've been spending my spare timelessness dilating the mind and just letting the light flow in. However, it's not conducive to writing, this for two reasons. 

First of all, it's a passive modality, when writing is an active one. Second, it is as general as general can be, when writing must be particular. While I would like to write about "everything," one must of course begin with something.

Get back to the potato. We're dying of suspense.

I will, but I need to mention something else. How to put it... It's that, over the years, it seems that I have written myself into a corner, in that the person we know of as Gagdad Bob has coevolved with his audience, such that each evokes the other.

So, the other day I began writing a book, the sequel to One Cosmos. I didn't get far -- three sentences, I think -- before it dawned on me that it just wasn't working, because without my already existing audience, I myself don't really exist. We've come too far together for me to even know what it was like to write in the abstract to no one in particular. Who are all these assouls? 

No, I'm not getting sentimental about my wonderful audience, like some Grammy award winner. Rather, it reminds me of Duke Ellington. Conventionally speaking he was a "piano player," but in reality his instrument was the orchestra. 

You probably know next to nothing about Ellington, but even folks who know a little would probably lump him in with the big swing bands of the the 1930s, but as we discussed before on that other blog, there are geniuses and there are idioms, and the two should not be confused.  

I'm especially intrigued by "primitive" musical geniuses such as a Muddy Waters or Howlin' Wolf, who expressed their genius via the idiom of blues. But to reduce them to "blues musicians" is to overlook the more universal category of genius. "Genius" is a kind of x-factor that distinguishes the musical magician from the mere musician, whether that musician is merely workmanlike or a virtuoso. 

Analogously, as there are saints who are not sages, there are true artists who are not virtuosos.  

Getting back to Ellington, although he was a complete musician who also happened to be a fantastically expressive pianist, this simply wasn't enough for his musical vision, which required the whole orchestra and the individual voices within it.

The big bands of the 1930s began breaking up during the war years, and by the 1950s were largely a thing of the past. But for Ellington, the orchestra remained his primary idiom.  

Which leads to my "idiom." It seems that it has become "blogging," with all its spontaneity and creative immediacy. But not just in the abstract. Rather, a certain sensibility has emerged in the ever more... selective space between blog and audience, such that I wouldn't know how to write for any other audience. Rather, I'd have to start all over and invent a whole new audience, so to speak.

What's the word, Petey?

Parasitic? 

No, the other one.

Exploitive? 

No... symbiotic. And synergistic

I suppose the ironic thing is is that it all started out as a pretend cult, only to become a real one. 

I wouldn't put it that way, oh Mystic B'ob, 11th Degree Peltmaster of the Benevolent Order of Transdimensional Cosmic Achievers.

That's not how I mean it. Rather, it's more like the well-known phenomenon of having a favorite band that few people know about. To the extent that the band later goes on to widespread success, it's usually at the cost of betraying its original sound and audience. The band gains millions more fans but loses the original cult of hardcore loyalists.

This has happened to me many times. For example, I was an early adopter of Springsteen in 1975, before he became the vulgar arena-rocker, painfully self-conscious pseudo-artiste, and super-wealthy progressive fascist. Likewise R.E.M. before they too went that way in 1988.

THE POTATO!

That right there illustrates the problem. I will discuss the cosmic potato -- in great detail -- but imagine doing so to a wider audience beyond the twelve? I literally couldn't do it, because it would require 17 years of explanation to get them up to speed. All of you will get it. Just not the other 7 billion soyim.

So, it looks like I've written myself into a corner cult, the kind that no one can join but no one can leave. And every member is a follower and a leader. Because I think we've all, in some form or fashion, adopted the Raccoon sensibility of THE RELIGION THE ALMIGHTY & ME WORKS OUT BETWIXT US.

10 comments:

  1. Back to yesterday's post -- another good description is by Peter Kreeft, beginning with God and proceeding "to the act of creation, centering on man, the only creature who is created in the image of God: an exit from and return to God, who is Alpha and Omega. God is the ontological heart that pumps the blood through the arteries of creation, receiving it back through the veins of man’s knowledge-love-will. Thus, the structure of the cosmos is like a living body."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think writing for yourself, your idiom, is the only way one can authentically go. Authentic is an overused word, but I do believe it has to have a "I don't give a damn" aspect to it. All that matters is doing what makes you alive in the moment, perhaps with some mastery, and then let it all unfold as it must. BTW, I was thinking about article in that writers shouldn't talk... and I think there's something to it. Jordan Peterson is clearly not a writer. In fact, I find his writing poor at best considering his status. But he does emote well in public and can captivate an audience. So speaking works for him. But there's too much talk these days. Much too much. And it's only good writing that can capture an audience verses catering to one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed about Peterson. He just speculates out loud. I tried to read his 12 Rules, but it's like a transcription of his woolly and undisciplined speaking style. Nevertheless, he's performing an important service.

      Authentic. I read something about that yesterday... Schuon: "it is as if it sufficed to be 'me' to always be right." But these same people "are always careful to keep from 'understanding' those who think otherwise, and whom they vilify shamelessly; a one-way charity necessarily ends in upside-down justice."

      In other words, authenticity for me, cancelation for thee.

      Delete
    2. Ted, good points. Speaking for myself, I'm not generally a fan of podcasts. I just don't have the patience, not to mention the uninterrupted time to listen and comprehend. In some ways, it's too passive. Reading is faster, plus I can pull out a quote that grabs my eye for whatever reason, or go back and contend with something that I didn't grasp initially.

      Apropos nothing, it's snowballing here again. We get this weird soft hail sometimes that looks like little snowballs, but isn't actually snow. I've never seen it anywhere else.

      Delete
  3. I love this comment by Schuon, which goes to our whole sick victim culture: "man has the right to be legitimately traumatized only by monstrosities; he who is traumatized by less is himself a monster,"

    Every. Time. Like the monsters for whom being misgendered is a monstrosity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ace of Spades on the royal monsters: "Prince Harry To Go On Pay Per View To Have an 'Intimate Conversation' with a Celebrity Trauma Expert to Finally Find Out: Where Did My Privacy Go?"

      Delete
    2. We watched the South Park episode Ace is referencing. It was okay, but their reaction to it was pretty telling.

      Who really believes people would want to pay $30+ to watch their therapy session?
      Actually, given current year, nevermind...

      Delete
    3. Might be worth it with a good confrontational therapist.

      Delete
    4. Ha - okay, that would be entertaining.

      Delete
  4. A corner cult. Kinda catchy. BTW, speaking of Peter Kreeft, he's got a new reissue of his history of philosophy, 'Socrates Children', and a series of lectures around them, noting groundbreaking or extraordinarily deep, but an engagingly good take so far (I'm in the 3rd): Socrates Children (videos are down the page)

    ReplyDelete

100% of Everything is Stupid

I suppose it comes back to Sturgeon's Law, that 90% of everything is crap. Including Sturgeon's Law. Oh?  Yes, because everything is...